vibration mode at Gamma

Queries about input and output files, running specific calculations, etc.

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

miaoms

vibration mode at Gamma

#1 Post by miaoms » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:36 pm

Hi,

I am running calculations on the vibrational modes of molecular crystals using IBRION=5 feature. However, I found that the symmetry of the hessian matrix is not used and all the atoms are being desplaced, which dramatically increase the computation time. Since I am using gamma point for BZ integration anyway, I don't need to worry about the symmetry effects for the k point sampling. Could you let me know whether I can use the symmetry for displacing the atoms?

Thanks,
Maosheng
Last edited by miaoms on Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miaoms

vibration mode at Gamma

#2 Post by miaoms » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:55 pm

Hi,

It seems the current version does not use the symemtry to calculate the Hessian matrix. I think waht I can do is manually displace the necessary atoms and reconstruct the full Hessian matrix using the smaller symmetry reduced matrix. My question is then how to let VASP write out the calculated hessian.

Thanks,
Maosheng
Last edited by miaoms on Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alex
License Nr.: 5-67

vibration mode at Gamma

#3 Post by alex » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:58 pm

Hi,

there is no way. You have to do 'by hand'. But once you got the Hessian for your symmetric system, it's just a little programming. Look at the source...

alex
Last edited by alex on Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

admin
Administrator
Administrator
License Nr.: 458

vibration mode at Gamma

#4 Post by admin » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:40 pm

the excited modes can be chosen by making use of the
Selective dynamics
option in POSCAR (please have a look in the online handbook,
section files, POSCAR how to use it).
Then, by choosing the excitations explicitely, you can select special vibration modes and keep any symmetry you want to.
Last edited by admin on Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miaoms

vibration mode at Gamma

#5 Post by miaoms » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:25 pm

Hi,

Thanks for everybody's reply. I am using the selective dynamics. However, my purpose is to obtain all the vibrational modes of the molecular crystal. I can select the minimum number of displacement according to the symmetry. But later on I wish to construct the full Hessian matrix and diagonalize it and obtain the full spectra of vibrations. As Alex said, I think VASP do not work that way. The selective dynamics is designed for a system like molecule on a solid surface. I am reading the code and may need your guys further help.

Thanks.
Maosheng
Last edited by miaoms on Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.