Constraining the direction of magnetic moments

Queries about input and output files, running specific calculations, etc.

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

hnam9

Constraining the direction of magnetic moments

#1 Post by hnam9 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:22 am

Dear VASP Users,

I need to do calculations of FCC Fe system with several defects in the ferro-magnetic states. It was not a problem for perfect system without a defect. But, if I induced defects such as vacancy, interstitial and substitution, the systems are no-longer ferro-magnetic.

To constrain the direction of moments, I already tried non-collinear tags as suggested in the manual (http://cms.mpi.univie.ac.at/vasp/vasp/C ... ments.html). But it doesn?t help. Although moments are constrained to z-direction, but moments of several atoms were flipped over. For example, I want to set the moments of all Fe atoms to be (0 0 X). But moments of some atoms were converged to (0 0 ?X) even I used the non-collinear tags as shown below. Is this the typical results even I use the non-collinear tags? Or did I do something wrong?

thanks for your comments!
Hyo

Tags that I used...

LNONCOLLINEAR = .TRUE.
MAGMOM = 0 0 2 0 0 2?
I_CONSTRAINED_M = 1
RWIGS = 1.0
LAMDA = 10
M_CONSTR = 0 0 1 0 0 1 ?
Last edited by hnam9 on Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

support_vasp
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Constraining the direction of magnetic moments

#2 Post by support_vasp » Thu Sep 12, 2024 7:20 am

Hi,

We're sorry that we didn’t answer your question. This does not live up to the quality of support that we aim to provide. The team has since expanded. If we can still help with your problem, please ask again in a new post, linking to this one, and we will answer as quickly as possible.

Best wishes,

VASP