drift force

Question on input files/tags, interpreting output, etc.

Please check whether the answer to your question is given in the VASP online manual or has been discussed in this forum previously!

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

edurgun
License Nr.: 5-725

drift force

#1 Post by edurgun » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:34 pm

I have some questions related with drift force. Firstly, i cannot find the exact definition of it. Secondly, i would like to ask how it is calculated. In some of my calculations the drift force is much larger than the forces on each atom. What is the convergence criteria for it? Can i still trust my results or geometry optimization?. I would appreciate any information related with this subject. thank in advance...
Last edited by edurgun on Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

admin
Administrator
Administrator
License Nr.: 458

drift force

#2 Post by admin » Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:32 pm

the total drift of the forces is a drift of the center of gravity of the system. It should be smaller than the forces on the individual atoms.
usually a considerable total drift in the forces may be caused by either
1) insufficient basis set sizes (--> please increase PREC and ENCUT)
or
2) if you do a molecule in a box or slabs, the whole molecule or slab might start drifting. In this case it is sufficient to fix the co-ordinates of at least one atom (of the molecule) or one layer of the slab (see: POSCAR/Selective Dynamics)
Last edited by admin on Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anagaw
License Nr.: 357

drift force

#3 Post by anagaw » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:39 am

I have one question about the total drift forces. You said the total drift should be smaller than the forces on the individual atoms. In my calculations (slab, large system) I never got the total drift force is smaller than the force on individual atoms. I often use at least 80 atoms per cell. I fix at least two atomic layer and use high cut off and PREC=accurate. But I have not seen that the total drift is less than the force on each atoms. However I get a total drift of less than 0.02eV in most of the cases.
Now I am doubt about my calculations and your statement. Could you please explain us more?
Thank you

<span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Fri Mar 10 2006, 07:40AM ]</span>
Last edited by anagaw on Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.