calculating band structure gap in amorphous material

Question on input files/tags, interpreting output, etc.

Please check whether the answer to your question is given in the VASP online manual or has been discussed in this forum previously!

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

sahar_bayat

calculating band structure gap in amorphous material

#1 Post by sahar_bayat » Mon Jun 17, 2024 3:45 pm

Hi all,
I am trying to calculate the bandgap in some amorphous system and was wondering if anyone has any idea on what is the best approach to create the KPOINTS file, as I am not sure how to do so because we do not have long range order in amorphous material hence specifying high symmetry points would be challenging. I have attached an example input files for my calculation; the way I created this structure is through melt-quench AIMD, ie. first I heated up system (melting phase) using NVT ensemble, then cooled that down (equilibration phase), and finally I quenched the structure (quench phase) up to room temperature. Then I used this structure as starting pouint to calculate the band structure : 1-first I relaxed the structure 2-then I did a scf calculation and got the CHGCAR file, 3-and for dos calculation and band calculations I used the charge density file from scf and used CONTCAR from relaxed structure from first step ; the DOS calculations go through, however for generating KPATH and high symmetry points in band structure calculation I am not sure how to create that in vaspkit, as I am not sure if any of 1D,2D, and 3D structures in vaspkit options be the case. Also I should note that I created the amorphous system in gamma point only.
any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Best,
Sahar
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pedro_melo
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: calculating band structure gap in amorphous material

#2 Post by pedro_melo » Tue Jun 18, 2024 8:56 am

Dear sahar_bayat,

In principle the k-point path you choose for the bands calculation should be consistent with the type of lattice you define in your POSCAR. However, if the system is very large I am not sure you will see dispersive bands, so the band gap at Gamma will probably be enough. I suggest that you try to reproduce the bands with a few k-points along the path just to see if there is enough dispersion that justifies a calculation with more points.

Kind regards,
Pedro