NVT molecular dynamics (T fluctuations)

Question on input files/tags, interpreting output, etc.

Please check whether the answer to your question is given in the VASP online manual or has been discussed in this forum previously!

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

jcarrasco

#1 Post by jcarrasco » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:49 pm

In NVT ensemble runs I have observed large temperature fluctuations. Although total energy is properly conserve (no drift observed), the T fluctuates around a mean value that corresponds to the working T (TEBEG). These fluctuations seems to me extremly large, and are larger for bigger temperatures; for instance, for TEBEG=TEND=100, T fluctuates between ~0 and 200K, and for TEBEG=TEEND=1000, it fluctuates around 0 and 2000K. There are any physical reason linked to Nose thermostat that can explain this? Are my results completly wrong?

P.S.: I have adjust SMASS in order to get a periodic T fluctuation, and trying that it was as small as possible.
Last edited by jcarrasco on Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

admin
Administrator
Administrator
License Nr.: 458

#2 Post by admin » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:18 am

as the MD temperature is calculated from the kinetic energy of the ions, there is no general rule of thumb about the acceptable fluctuations. You can fix the final temperature by setting TEEND, but also by doing so, some fluctuations will be left, because of the variations of the sums of the instantaneous kinetic energies of the atoms at the respective time-step
Last edited by admin on Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.