half electron due to 0.5_H pseudo atom

Queries about input and output files, running specific calculations, etc.

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

duncan2

half electron due to 0.5_H pseudo atom

#1 Post by duncan2 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:01 am

Dear all,

I'm conducting a calculation of ZnO polar surface using 0.5 H atom for passivating O-terminated ZnO surface.

While doing so, I found the total number of the cell (NELECT) is 475.5, which makes the occupancy of a certain band more than 2.000 (i.e., 2.22633).
This seems physically unreasonable, removing the gap of ZnO which is originally an insulator.
Several odd consequences were observed such as average (electrostatic) potential at core of one Zn atom dramatically reduced or force and total energy are largely fluctuating.

Thus, what I want to ask is:

Is there any other method which enable me to make the passivated surface avoiding the situation described above?
Other than making twice area of the cell, i.g. from (1x3) to (2x3)

Or, without using passivation, rather, only using dipole correction (LDIPOL=T) can make the calculation reasonable?

Thanks in advance to all respondants.

Best,

Kisung.
Last edited by duncan2 on Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

support_vasp
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: half electron due to 0.5_H pseudo atom

#2 Post by support_vasp » Wed Sep 11, 2024 2:07 pm

Hi,

We're sorry that we didn’t answer your question. This does not live up to the quality of support that we aim to provide. The team has since expanded. If we can still help with your problem, please ask again in a new post, linking to this one, and we will answer as quickly as possible.

Best wishes,

VASP