steps of bulk calculation to determine the optimized parameters

Queries about input and output files, running specific calculations, etc.

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

gump_813

steps of bulk calculation to determine the optimized parameters

#1 Post by gump_813 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:35 am

Hi, users,
I am a rookie to vasp, I want to do some NEB calculations to get metal on metal suface diffusion barrier. Following the manual, some bulk calculations are needed in advance to get optimized parameters for later surface calculation. However, I don't think the process described in the manual are clear enough to me. I design a process based on the manual's description. I want to know whether this process is sufficient to get the right parameters.

step1: PREC=H,ISMEAR=-5,ENCUT=default in POTCAR / loop in a set of kpoints, kpoint is determined if deltaE<0.001eV

step2: PREC=H, ISMEAR=1,ENCUT=default in POTCAR, KPOINTS=kpoint_step1 / loop in a set of SIGMAs, SIGMA is determined if T*S<0.001eV

step3: PREC=H, ISMEAR=1,SIGMA=sigma_step2,ENCUT=default in POTCAR / loop in a set of kpoints, the target accuracy is the same with step1

step4: PREC=H, ISMEAR=1,ENCUT=default in POTCAR, KPOINTS=kpoint_step3 / loop in a set of SIGMAs, SIGMA is determined if T*S<0.001eV

step 5: PREC=H, ISMEAR=1,SIGMA=sigma_step4,KPOINT=kpoint_step3 /loop in a set of ENCUTs, deltaE<0.001eV is cosidered converged

step 6: PREC-H, ISMEAR=1, SIGMA=sigma_step4, KPOINT=kpoint_step3,ENCUT=encut_step5 / loop in a set of volumn, get the corresponding energy.

step 7: fit the data get in step6 Birch–Murnaghan equation of state , then equilibrium volumn is obtained.

I hope I am clear, this process get reasonable result, but I still want to get some ideas on this process.
Thank you.
Last edited by gump_813 on Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

support_vasp
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: steps of bulk calculation to determine the optimized parameters

#2 Post by support_vasp » Wed Sep 11, 2024 2:22 pm

Hi,

We're sorry that we didn’t answer your question. This does not live up to the quality of support that we aim to provide. The team has since expanded. If we can still help with your problem, please ask again in a new post, linking to this one, and we will answer as quickly as possible.

Best wishes,

VASP