molecular dynamics

Queries about input and output files, running specific calculations, etc.

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

saswata
License Nr.: 307

molecular dynamics

#1 Post by saswata » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:30 pm

Dear all,

I have started learning molecular dynamics and it seems that EDIFFG is not applicable for IBRION=0.I want to know what is the tolerance criterion for this type of calculation?I mean to say that if I dont specify EDIFFG then what should be my value of NSW?
when we do normal calculation we use to set NSW to such a value so that system reaches the specified EDIFFG value much before of final ionic step mentioned by NSW.

2ndly I did three benchmark molecular dynamics run with NSW=30, 100, 1000 respectively and in all the three runs final forces on the atoms were reasonably high.So which result should I believe?Can anyone help me out of this?

Lastly if I want to just heat a system to a temperature say 300K what should be the value of SMASS?Is there any tricks to set this SMASS value?I have set my INCAR as given below........
PREC = Normal ! standard precision
ENMAX = 400 ! cutoff should be set manually
ISMEAR = 0 ; SIGMA = 0.1

IBRION = 0 ! molecular dynamics
NSW = 100 ! 100 steps
POTIM = 1.0 ! timestep 1 fs

SMASS = -3 ! Nose Hoover thermostat
TEBEG = 300 ; TEEND = 300 ! temperature

Can anyone comment if I have set anything wrong in my INCAR file?I have just started learning this and that's why I want some comments on this....
thaks to all,
Last edited by saswata on Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

support_vasp
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: molecular dynamics

#2 Post by support_vasp » Wed Sep 11, 2024 1:43 pm

Hi,

We're sorry that we didn’t answer your question. This does not live up to the quality of support that we aim to provide. The team has since expanded. If we can still help with your problem, please ask again in a new post, linking to this one, and we will answer as quickly as possible.

Best wishes,

VASP