Collision of molecule with surface?

Queries about input and output files, running specific calculations, etc.

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

cchang

Collision of molecule with surface?

#1 Post by cchang » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:06 am

Hi,

I would like to calculate the initial dynamics of a molecule colliding with a surface. I'm confused about the SMASS options, though. I've set initial velocities in the POSCAR file, but running SMASS=-3, they appear to be reset (i.e., the molecule vibrates but does not move relative to the surface, which it should given the velocities set in POSCAR).
The documentation for the SMASS=-2 option indicates that initial velocities will be read in, but that they will be held constant, which will create problems once nuclei start to overlap, and energies spike.
What I'm looking for is velocities initialized from POSCAR, but then adjusted according to the forces experienced in the simulation for either constant energy, or constant temperature. I've got

Code: Select all

NSW?=1000?;?ISIF=0?;?IBRION=0
POTIM=0.67
SMASS=-3
, but what should I have?

Thanks
Last edited by cchang on Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

support_vasp
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Collision of molecule with surface?

#2 Post by support_vasp » Thu Sep 12, 2024 8:23 am

Hi,

We're sorry that we didn’t answer your question. This does not live up to the quality of support that we aim to provide. The team has since expanded. If we can still help with your problem, please ask again in a new post, linking to this one, and we will answer as quickly as possible.

Best wishes,

VASP