Spin-orbit coupling breaks symmetry of forces in HSE calculation

Queries about input and output files, running specific calculations, etc.

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

hipertrofia
License Nr.: 5-216

Spin-orbit coupling breaks symmetry of forces in HSE calculation

#1 Post by hipertrofia » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:03 pm

Hi all,

I am performing a HSE06 calculation with spin-orbit coupling for a zinc-blende material. The unit cell is perfectly symmetric, and given by the lattice vectors (in units of the lattice parameter):

0 1/2 1/2
1/2 0 1/2
1/2 1/2 0

The asymmetric unit is given by

0 0 0 <- atom A
1/4 1/4 1/4 <- atom B

either in a "direct lattice" representation in the fashion of VASP, or in units of the lattice parameter in Cartesian coordinates.

The strange thing that I do not understand is that after the relaxation atom B is moved by about 0.003 Angstrom in the (Cartesian) direction (-1,-1,+1). I allow atom B to move freely, not because I expect it to do so, but because I didn't bother changing my T T T tags to F F F, knowing by experience (and intuition) that in a ZB lattice without shear deformation atom B should stay put.

Is this due to the spin-orbit coupling?

Is it a spurious result due to having switched off symmetry in the calculation (ISYM = -1)?

Why does this not happen in an LDA calculation?

I might be naive here, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Miguel
Last edited by hipertrofia on Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

support_vasp
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Spin-orbit coupling breaks symmetry of forces in HSE calculation

#2 Post by support_vasp » Thu Sep 12, 2024 7:59 am

Hi,

We're sorry that we didn’t answer your question. This does not live up to the quality of support that we aim to provide. The team has since expanded. If we can still help with your problem, please ask again in a new post, linking to this one, and we will answer as quickly as possible.

Best wishes,

VASP