detail about copies of cells before PBC enforced

Queries about input and output files, running specific calculations, etc.

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

vasp_user
License Nr.: 80+Upaw

detail about copies of cells before PBC enforced

#1 Post by vasp_user » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:01 am

I acknowledge that what I'm about to say is discussed in solid state text books. I also want to acknowledge that periodic boundary conditions appear in the "Pseudopotentials I" lecture from the the VASP workshop lectures which appear on the VASP website. I also did a search through the PDF version of the VASP manual.

So here is what I'm wondering: you know how in solid state physics books it imagines that you have a large number of copies of the unit cell in real space creating a macroscopic crystal... and then they explain how the k index becomes continuous etc. etc. (think big "L" in real space before the wrap around). Well where can I look up how VASP does this behind the scenes. How do the numerics go for "building the macroscopic cell" or, if it is bypassed, then where can I read about that etc.

Thanks!!!
Last edited by vasp_user on Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

support_vasp
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: detail about copies of cells before PBC enforced

#2 Post by support_vasp » Thu Sep 12, 2024 7:20 am

Hi,

We're sorry that we didn’t answer your question. This does not live up to the quality of support that we aim to provide. The team has since expanded. If we can still help with your problem, please ask again in a new post, linking to this one, and we will answer as quickly as possible.

Best wishes,

VASP