Ionization Potential - strange results

Queries about input and output files, running specific calculations, etc.

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

aarondesk

Ionization Potential - strange results

#1 Post by aarondesk » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:46 am

I'm trying to calculate the ionization potential and electron affinity of bulk rutile TiO2. It's just a simple test- remove or add an electron and get the energy.

I find that the energy goes up when I add an electron, while goes down when I remove an electron. So, ionization potential (M -> M+ + e-) and electron affinity (M- -> M + e-) are both negative. This is opposite to the expected trend and would suggest that my material auto-ionizes, which I'm sure it doesn't. I've tested this with another periodic DFT code and have gotten the same result.

I've tested lone atoms in big cells and get the correct behavior, though the calculated ionization potentials tend to be smaller than experimental values by 100-300 kJ/mol.

I guess these strange results may be due to the periodic boundary conditions (possibly interacting charges), or how the background compensating charge is treated.

Any ideas on this?

Aaron
Last edited by aarondesk on Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

support_vasp
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Ionization Potential - strange results

#2 Post by support_vasp » Wed Sep 11, 2024 2:39 pm

Hi,

We're sorry that we didn’t answer your question. This does not live up to the quality of support that we aim to provide. The team has since expanded. If we can still help with your problem, please ask again in a new post, linking to this one, and we will answer as quickly as possible.

Best wishes,

VASP