Dipole Correction in Slab Supercell

Queries about input and output files, running specific calculations, etc.

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

tommy91779

Dipole Correction in Slab Supercell

#1 Post by tommy91779 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:04 pm

Hello all,

I am attempting to determine the formation energy for a variety of defects of varying charge states on the surface of a semiconductor. I initially began my calculations by selecting an 8-layer slab and fixing the bottom 3 layers to the bulk lattice constants. I soon realized that I had a significant dipole that arose between the relaxed and unrelaxed side of my slab. I have begun to use the dipole correction flags in VASP however I read that for charged calculations, these tags can only be used to cubic super cells. My supercell is orthorhombic. So two questions:

1. Is there a work around to use the dipole corrections in VASP to treat orthorhombic cells (I suspect not.......)

2. If I decide to do a full relaxation of all the layers, will there be a dipole arising if I put a defect on only one surface or do I have to put one on the ther surface??

Thanks in advance
Last edited by tommy91779 on Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

support_vasp
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Dipole Correction in Slab Supercell

#2 Post by support_vasp » Wed Sep 11, 2024 2:17 pm

Hi,

We're sorry that we didn’t answer your question. This does not live up to the quality of support that we aim to provide. The team has since expanded. If we can still help with your problem, please ask again in a new post, linking to this one, and we will answer as quickly as possible.

Best wishes,

VASP