Silent crash - metaGGA

Queries about input and output files, running specific calculations, etc.

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

johan_felisaz

Silent crash - metaGGA

#1 Post by johan_felisaz » Fri Jul 26, 2024 3:34 pm

Good afternoon,

I am trying to run meta-GGAs calculations with rSCAN for a somewhat "large" system (~50 atoms).

Running band structure calculation (using the zero-weight method, outline in the hybrid functional wiki page) works well.
However, if I use noncollinear calculations with spin orbit coupling, vasp silently crashes, without any error but with a core.* file.

Given I am running it on 8 nodes, it seems to be a memory problem on the master node, since there is just a single core file.

How to deal with this problem ?
Furthermore, in general, how to reduce the memory footprint (per node) for the OpenACC version of vasp ?
The standard trick of increasing NCORE does not work, since it is always set to 1 for vasp GPU...
Furthermore, as far as I understand, KPAR does not reduce the memory footprint.

You will find attached my input files.

Thanks in advance,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

christopher_sheldon1
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Silent crash - metaGGA

#2 Post by christopher_sheldon1 » Mon Jul 29, 2024 8:57 am

Hi,

Thanks for your question. There are a few ways to reduce memory. There' a list in the wiki for saving on memory demands, and a brief overview here. A good way is to increase the number of cores.

There are a few questions for your INCAR. The way that you set MAGMOM in your INCAR file is a little unusual (https://www.vasp.at/forum/viewtopic.php?t=847). It shouldn't be an issue but it is something to clear up to make sure. For noncollinear calculations, add "LNONCOLLINEAR = T" to your INCAR file, with details given in the MAGMOM wiki page.

Best,

Chris