Out of memory error

Queries about input and output files, running specific calculations, etc.

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

ahmed_biby

Out of memory error

#1 Post by ahmed_biby » Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:13 pm

Hi,

I have been trying to run an optical job on a 28 atoms 2D system with a vacuum slab before running the GW job, However, it keeps giving me an "out of memory" error.

I have tried to vary the NCORE from 1 to 64 (the number of cores per node).
I have tried to vary the KPAR from 1 to 64 as well.
I have tried a lot of mixed variations between the NCORE and KPAR
I have tried to use up to 30 nodes each have 64 cores each core has 3.7 GB of memory.

I am using a machine of 3.7 GB/core and 64 cores/node.

The lower level is inaccurate, so I should use this high level of the calculations or the work will be trash.

Please, let me know if I am doing something wrong. Attached are the input files and the OUTCAR file.

Thank you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pedro_melo
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Out of memory error

#2 Post by pedro_melo » Thu Jun 27, 2024 12:50 pm

Dear ahmed_biby,

This seems a supercell calculation. Is that the case? If so, could you try to reduce the number of k-points?

You could you try ALGO=Normal. ALGO=Exact might be too demanding for large systems, since it will try to diagonalise the full Hamiltonian.

Kind regards,
Pedro

ahmed_biby

#3 Post by ahmed_biby » Thu Jun 27, 2024 1:07 pm

Thank you Pedro. I am using such a high KPOINTS since this is the converged one and I need to make a GW calculation based on the WAVECAR from this calculation.

For Algo= Exact, this is the recommended algo if I want to make a GW calculation from this calculation. Do you know if is accepted to use Algo= All instead?

Thank you

pedro_melo
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by pedro_melo » Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:39 am

Dear ahmed_biby,

The ALGO=EXACT selects a full diagonalisation of your DFT hamiltonian. This can be very expensive for large systems. I would suggest ALGO=NORMAl, which employs an iterative scheme to compute the non-occupied states. The consequence is that the last empty states are not well converged compared to others. You can avoid using those states by selecting a number of bands in the GW step, NBANDSGW, that is lower than the value you set for NBANDS.

Kind regards,
Pedro

ahmed_biby

#5 Post by ahmed_biby » Mon Jul 01, 2024 2:44 pm

Dear Pedro,

Thank you so much for your informative reply. I will try this.

Thanks,
Ahmed