Energy and stability under high pressure

Queries about input and output files, running specific calculations, etc.

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

daichi_kato1

Energy and stability under high pressure

#1 Post by daichi_kato1 » Thu May 30, 2024 2:13 am

I want to discuss the stability of two polymorphs (such as rutile and anatase TiO2) under high pressure by plotting the difference in free energy between them as a function of pressure.

I found that one typical way to do this is to calculate the energy at different volumes and fit it using an equation of state (such as Birch-Murnaghan). On the other hand, there is an option in the VASP INCAR file called "PSTRESS", which allows setting the external pressure and obtaining the energy under that pressure.

My question is: what is the difference between the energy obtained by the EoS method and the PSTRESS option? Which method is more accurate for discussing phase stability under high pressure?

henrique_miranda
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Energy and stability under high pressure

#2 Post by henrique_miranda » Fri May 31, 2024 10:47 am

I would say both approaches should yield the same result.
In one case, you control the volume and obtain a pressure and the energy, in the other case you control the pressure and obtain the volume and energy.
Since the stress tensor is computed in the same way, I would expect you to get the exact same results.
Did you encounter a significant difference from using one method instead of the other?

daichi_kato1

Re: Energy and stability under high pressure

#3 Post by daichi_kato1 » Mon Jun 03, 2024 4:57 am

Thank you very much for your response.

I tried PRTRESS one, but haven't tried E-V plot yet.
I will try both and compare them